CREATING+DISCOVERING+EXPLORING+GROWING+LAUGHING+LEARNING+LIVING+LOVING=
OUR JOURNEY AS A CHRISTIAN (♥John 13:34♥), UNSCHOOLING FAMILY (2+4=6)
IN CORN COUNTRY (aka-IOWA) U.S.A.

Saturday, January 3, 2009

Stellarium

Word Geek mentioned to a friend yesterday how a few weeks ago on our way home from a friend’s birthday party that we had seen some “falling stars”. I admit, I didn’t believe Word Geek when he said he saw a falling star…but then I saw something that resembled a falling star too. Actually, they weren’t what you see in movies. These fell in a straight line down from the sky to the Earth instead of a curve-like motion from left to right.

After looking it up on the internet when we got home, we found out it was part of a geminid meteor shower. We thought it was pretty amazing. This article explains it more in depth here.

Astronomy is always something I’ve enjoyed learning about. I think that there is so much outside of our atmosphere. Why wouldn’t there be more? God is such an amazing being that I don’t think any human could ever fathom completely. Why wouldn’t he want to create more beings and planets out in the universe!?


I grew up being able to look at the beauty of a night sky with stars and the moon with no city lights to obscure the constellations. That is one thing that I miss about living in the country. I also have fond memories of my dad showing me Saturn’s rings through a red telescope. Amazing!

Word Geek’s friend told him about a great website called Stellarium. Have you heard of it? Here is a description of the website “Stellarium is a free open source planetarium for your computer. It shows a realistic sky in 3D, just like what you see with the naked eye, binoculars or a telescope. It is being used in planetarium projectors. Just set your coordinates and go.” Cool website! Lizard Man and I are going to go check it out some more here.

0 comments:

Husband & Wife Team

Heidi Jo the Artist's Etsy Shop